First Day of Kindergarten

Today marked the first day of Kindergarten.  We took it easy, only doing an activity every so often.  I'm trying to establish a routine so my daughter knows what to expect.  She thrives when there is a routine and I do too.


We began by doing some calendar work.  She is still trying to learn her days of the week and months of the year.


We then did some review work on the white board.  We are starting over with numbers to make sure she still remembers them all.  I also added a weather component this year since we did not do that during Pre-K.  She enjoyed looking out the window and drawing her own picture!


I had looked at a variety of Kindergarten math curricula but most of them she already knew 90% of what was being taught since I taught her all of the number concepts and shapes in Pre-K.  The one I finally settled with, though loosely, was Eureka Math.  It is a free online curriculum.  I am using it as an outline for what I need to teach.


This picture shows a good bit of the work we did today.

The "First Day of Kindergarten" coloring sheet can be found on Teachers Pay Teachers for free.

The calendar page is from This Reading Mama.  It is also free.

The math page is from the Eureka Math curriculum.

The cut and paste page is to help my daughter learn beginning sounds of words.  If you have been reading this blog, you will know she has struggled with phonics.  I plan to take a good bit of time to work with her on these beginning phonic skills.  This particular beginning sounds page was made by Lavinia Pop!

We are still also doing one sight word activity every day.  Today's word is we.  I had a YouTube video for her to watch as well as the sheet in the above picture.  This worksheet is from Kindergarten Daze!

Finally, she made a number poster for the number of the day, which we will be making our own number line with and for our "All About Me" activity, she drew a self portrait.






My son, who is two, also wanted to "do school."  So I printed off this letter outline page for him to color and put apple stickers on.  We sang a song that talked about the sound the a makes in apple.  The letter outlines are from Teachers Notebook.

All in all, I believe our first day was a success!  My daughter said she had fun, which is all I want is for her to have fun while she learns!
MORE WAYS TO CONNECT

Subscribe below to our email list for the latest blog posts, products, sales and freebies! 

Comments

Popular Post

Using Pouch Tops in the Classroom

One Hundred Ways to Celebrate the 100th Day of School

Letter M Activities

Letter F Activities

Letter K Activities

Letter B Activities

Pinecone Activities

Letter J Activities

Apples Apples Apples!

Letter A Activities